Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Song For A Friend


C E F G G7

Lonely and tired through days I had been
working for something without understanding.
If just to be well and knowing what for
before living my life outside of Missouri.

Seemingly irrelevant how we should meet;
two silly sick people, a bit strange but so sweet.
So what you're a veggie and I like the meat?
We're still partners in crime and we don't miss a beat.

F C G G7
F G
Always walking and talking with too many smokes;
relight my cigarette, then you smile, make a joke.
I look from your head on down to the shoes
that you got for free after years of abuse.

C E F G G7

But you never cry, you just twist up your face;
you brush yourself off and you stay in the race.
But it's not about running, this is for life;
and I swear I'd do anything to make you alright.

When you're not with me, you live in my head
I call you at night for your voice before bed.
I worry about you, your grandma and mom;
it all scares me real bad, but I know that you're strong.

Now we're driving and laughing while secrets slip in;
I imagine you closer than we've ever been.
I don't want to tell you or give you the hint;
you might think I'm a creeper and you might want to split.

But somewhere between the mall and the house
I get the idea that you want something out;
something to tell me that you wonder too,
and I know there's no way around telling the truth.

And when the lights go out, you're lying there;
your face is framed with sweet smelling hair.
So I pinch myself now – are you for real?
How did we get here and how do you feel?

And the light comes on; you're standing there.
Just outside we'll be facing their glare.
I look and then scream it's not fucking fair,
but they're staring right back and they don't fucking care.

I miss your loud laugh, I miss being your friend.
Can I still touch your face, can I still hold your hand?
Your lips were like liquid when my mouth was sand;
I'm so sorry I asked for too much in the end.

But every night, I'll keep a low light out...
every night, I'll keep a low light out...
and every night, I'll keep a low light out, for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment